Monday, November 9, 2015

Tattoo's, Prophecy, and A great week :)

So this week has been super interesting for me!  We have two baptisms we're preparing for, so life's been pretty busy.  But I had an experience this week that was such a testimony builder to me.  

So, as most of you may know, I was dead set on getting a tattoo a while before I left on my mission.  However, I had some experiences that strengthened my testimony of keeping my body like a temple, and so I made the decision not to get a tattoo.  Around that same time, Jason (Anderson) had a dream that I was out on my mission, and I had made the decision to get a tattoo.  I was teaching an investigator who had a specific concern about tattoo's that was a make it or break it to get baptized.  Because I had made that decision, they chose not to accept the gospel at that time, and we lost that person as an investigator.  

One of our investigators getting baptized in the next couple weeks, has that exact concern.  I was so grateful to be able to share with her my testimony of what it means to keep our bodies sacred, and treat them like temples.  She has a tattoo, blue and purple hair, and a bunch of piercings.  So tattoo's and piercing's were a big concern for her, because they mean a lot to her, and hold a lot of meaning for her family and loved ones.  However, after we taught her that principle, she went home and prayed about it, and decided not to get any more tattoo's or piercings right now.  In fact, she took out a lot of her piercings, and has come to gain an even greater testimony of this gospel principle.  It was such a blessing to know a small reason for why God has asked us to obey his commandments.  Many times it's not about us, but about the greater picture and destiny our Father in Heaven has for us.  
Many times we will be tempted to ask why do we have to obey this commandment, or why does the Lord ask so much of us?  We can take heart and strength in the knowledge that it's not about us.  It's about how through us, the Lord can touch the lives of those around us, and help them to come unto Christ.  We each have our small guilty pleasures we indulge in from time to time.  Take a look at those, and even do an experiment for a day or two in trying to be perfectly obedient to the Lord's commandments.  I promise you, as a servant of the Lord, that you will see the blessings that will come, and the Lord will place someone in your path who you will be able to help bring unto Christ.  It may be in a small way, through a kind word or deed.  It may be in a big way, such as sharing your testimony, and referring to the missionaries.  I know the Lord will bless each of us with those opportunities to help souls receive healing and comfort.  We are here for a purpose, each of us.  When we come to understand that it is not about us, but how THROUGH us, Christ can bring others unto Him.  As we do this, we will come to find ourselves..questions we have about ourselves.  We will through rendering service unto others, receive healing and comfort for our personal lives.
 Matthew 16:25 states "Whosoever will lose his life for my sake, shall find it."  I know this is true.  As I have forgotten myself and went to work in the Lord's vineyard, I have found myself.  I have found out more about myself, learned how to be a better man, and received strengthened character.  I find that my views are risen to more important things, I seek to study the scriptures more, I cherish the words that are taught.  I still have so very long ways to go in becoming the missionary The Lord wants me to be, and a lifetime to become the man He intends me to be, but I take comfort in the small progression that comes each day from striving to lose ourselves in the work.  

I love you all!!  I feel your prayers daily, and count myself lucky to be a servant of the Lord, and to have friends and family like yourselves.  I love you all.  Have a good week!!



--
Elder Bybee
Toronto Canada
Ofa Atu
Cute babies, Elder Carullo, My new coat, darts as the pastime, etc;)













No comments:

Post a Comment