Monday, January 18, 2016

Are we the same person? -Spiritually-


Hahaha man this week has been so dope!!!  

First off, my new companion Elder Fillmore is the freshest guy I've ever met!  He's from Logan, and we know a lot of the same people back home!  Haha we're super similar and say the same things, it's super weird, like almost creepy weird...we'll finish each other's sentences and all that, it's super weird!  But it makes for the most powerful teaching I've ever done!!

This week has been full of miracles!!  This week we found 5 NEW INVESTIGATORS!  Something I've never done before:):)  Which was so awesome!  Our standard is to find 2 each week, and so it's been a week of miracles!  

Elder Fillmore is a transfer younger than I am, so it's super weird being Senior companion already...and kind of stressful, especially because Elder Carullo was the one who had the GPS, and so I've had to navigate using the map...which has been the single HARDEST THING I'VE EVER DONE!  Sweet mercy I think my brains melted a bit from having to navigate my way around St. Thomas, which is NOTHING like Utah...the block system doesn't exist here, and every single street has a different name like Jones, or Kanes, or Alma, and so you literally have to memorize every street and where it is in relation to Talbot..but hey, it'll do me good considering I couldn't navigate my way home from school some days...so it's good for me;) 

Elder Fillmore has so much fire, and it makes for the best missionary work ever!  We both are super motivated and so we've seen so many miracles this week!  Devin's getting baptized on February 16th, and that'll be his first baptism, so we're super excited!  He's worked hard, he deserves it.  

Well I hit 5 months next week...which is super weird and kind of scary how fast it's gone...it's super weird you start to feel like the only life you've ever had is the mission, but it's awesome:)  I feel like I'm never going home, which is honestly the best feeling:)  I love it, and it's been the best thing I've ever done.  

This week the night Elder Fillmore got here we met a guy named Bob, who was SO prepared it was crazy!  It's so awesome to see just how the Lord is working here in St. Thomas, and I'm humbled and honored to be able to try my best to keep up with Him and His work here in St. Thomas:)  He's giving me a run for my money, cuz we have been SO busy this week!:)  I absolutely love it!  

Bishop Packer was right when he said there is no feeling quite like going to bed completely exhausted knowing you spent the day serving the Lord...it's just the greatest feeling!:)  

Man I don't really know what else to say!  

This week's spiritual thought and testimony comes from Alma.

Alma 38:8

Behold

I did cry unto Him

And I did find peace.  

I love that scripture SO much because it really is so true.  The Lord gives us such peace when we rely on him.  

That is something I have found in so much abundance on the mission.  Inner peace has been something the Lord has truly blessed me with lately as I have called upon and cried unto Him. 

Peace, true, soul comforting peace, is something that every single person on this earth searches for.  However, the only true and lasting peace in this life comes through the gospel of Jesus Christ, the true and simple knowledge of who we are, what our purpose is, and where we're going.  That peace is readily available unto all who seek it, as they strive to obey and follow the teachings of our Savior Jesus Christ.  

Another experience this week came in the form of meeting some Baptists (there's a TON of them here, and none of them like missionaries....) who wanted to talk and discuss.  We sat down with them and listened as they carefully and systematically went down the points of a well-known "Program" online intended to "confuse and confound “Mormon Missionaries, and eventually get them to go home.  

President Eyring teaches us, from D&C

"Seek not to declare my word,
 but first seek to obtain my word,
 and then shall your tongue be loosed;

 then, if you desire,
 you shall have my Spirit and my word,
 yea, the power of God
unto the convincing of men."

That scripture was fulfilled as we bore testimony of the Book of Mormon, and stated our personal conviction of what we knew to be true.  We bore testimony of our Savior Jesus Christ, and the wonderful message he has provided for us to share with the world.  It was an interesting experience, much different from the last one of its kind.  I felt no stress or mental fatigue whatsoever, we calmly fielded and testified of truth, and their words, intended to destroy and break down, held no power or place in us.  

As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints, we are literal witnesses of his life and ministry.  Our battle is not with "flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."  However, we need not fear, “for we have the gospel of Jesus Christ to shape and guide our lives and our words of we choose it.  The Savior has promised angels on our left and on our right to bear us up.  And He always keeps His word."  As a representative of Jesus Christ, I can testify these things to be true.  There is nothing more sacred to one's eternal salvation than one's own testimony of Jesus Christ, of his words in the Book of Mormon, and His prophet Joseph Smith.  If that testimony of those three things remains firm, then the "whirlwinds and the shafts in the whirlwinds" will have no place in us.  For our testimony is based upon the rock of our Savior Jesus Christ, upon which rock if we build, we cannot fall.  

I love you all!  Thank you for the prayers, I feel them daily!  Never forget who we are as sons and daughters of Him.  This is not our home.  We are destined for greatness in the eternities with our Father in Heaven.  

Much love!
https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

Elder Bybee
Toronto Canada
Ofa Atu


Elder Fillmore and I postin up
 




 


While I wasn't able to baptize Pete...the feeling was the same...what a blessing to be a part of someone's conversion.  

"The" LONDON ZONE:)


No comments:

Post a Comment